Wednesday, November 22, 2006

What the.... *$&$&!!!

It was the second mid-term for the course for which I am the TA. You might wonder the thought process behind keeping a mid-term so close to the end of the semester, and that too just before Thanksgiving...well, my prof isn't a PhD for purely his technical skills, he decided to have an extended vacation by strategically positioning the test in this manner. Result?? We 2 TAs are left with a God-foresaken- why-dint-I-take-the-day-off prof from another department supervising this test. Paper was definitely simpler than previous years..imagine, what more do you want if a ckt. analysis paper doesent have one sum involving small signal analysis...(for my fellow students turned IT pros, small sig. is the infamous ECAD type model of tansistors!!!:)) )

Twenty minutes into the paper, I laid my eye on this stubbled guy sitting in the last row... left hand twiddling his hair and right hand on the table... I looked away and 10 seconds later, he is still in that position, a minute later.. yep..still there, 2 minutes later... and I began to wonder if the lead had dropped off his pencil or something... but alas! I knew it wasnt the case... he had no clue what he was doing there... I doubt if he felt the same way.. staring coldly at the wall in front of his eyes... I looked at him for the rest of the hour every now and then, and although his hands moved about... it never picked up a pen... and that didn't make me sympathise with his condition.. it made me angry!! :X

Forgive me if I am being over-zealous, but I bet he is amongst those people who've come across from India just for the heck of it... dont go awww!! there have been, are and will continue to be loads of such people who come over to the US every year. I refuse to address them as students because they arent.... they come spending, I'd rather say flowing away their parents hard-earned money, making them take loans... and find that all of a sudden they are totally void of those things that held them back at home. No tauntings by mom to come home early and eat dinner, no time restrictions, no bar on cigarettes, drinks and TV.... you have plenty of Motels and gas stations that are ready to emply you and pay you a decent amount of salary, even if it is legally "illegal"... and thats what happens to these guys then....

I mean, give me a break!! Every year, I bet we've heard someone whom we know or someother person who deserved to get his opportuity to come abroad for enhancing his career but got rejected for his visa... and you also find people like these after coming here. I believe you must not pursue something unless you have a goal or an ambition to fulfill. Be it materialistic, be it for the experience, if you take up something, it is your prerogative to see to it that you give your best towards accomplishing the task...have the focus, work towards it and success is guaranteed... i dont intend to sound phony but look back at every instance in life where you've been successful, you will find hardwork getting you upto there... It doesent mean burning the midnight oil day in and day out, but when you have a deadline and a goal...work and achieve it!!

All in all, the experience of witnessing that somehow gave me a lot of stamina today. Worked for about 5 hours on my project and got past the initial stage. Came to the lab in the evening covering up for Varun whose happily trekking away in the Bay Area (to be fair, he worked his way there) and intend to do a bit more work after dinner..

I came here with a goal, I've been fortunate to have had a bit of luck, a bit of perseverance and loads of good wishes in helping me succeed and I believe I am on a path which wont disappoint me or the scores of others who sometimes, I believe, have more faith in my abilities than me myself!! This Thanksgiving, I am thankful for all this and many more in life... but I still have a long way to go... the journey has just started.....

Random thought: Which site would I have visited most often if not for orkut??

Song currenlty listening to : None..dunno y the earphone is plugged in but I did not put on any song...last song technically was Tere Bina from Guru.. its just growing on me by the second..

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey karthik really appriciate ur thoughts & wish u acieve all ur dreams & goals!!! but abt that boy ur talking abt i have few questions?? certainly there r many ppl come here becz they have money & certain come here becz there parents want well i know many such ppl!! but certainly there r few ppl who come here but then they realise its not there piece of cake !! its not there mistake but sometimes it happens !! to cut it short there r many kinds of 'students ' come to us everyone have there own dreams & goals!! there dreams goals may not match with yours but that doesnt mean they dont have goals!! so i feel its really diffcult to predict the mental & emotional condition of that boy !!!
btw keep writing it was pleasure reading it!!!

Karthik said...

Maybe I was a bit over-critical but I think it just hurt me because he was Indian....glad that you made your comment, though there is no real reason to be faceless and anonymous.. anyways, privacy is a personal issue..take care and yeah I'll write more soon..

Anonymous said...

Hey kadu...nice pt...something I notice in many univs. I think the blame must lie partly with the system we are trained in...how many times have u come across that famous stmnt 'if u can study in MU MS should be easy enough'...there are many belonging to the 'non-spoilt brat' category as well who show such symptoms...I guess there's a lot of responsibility on us to open the eyes of our friends back in India!

Anonymous said...

Hello
[url=http://livechatworld.blogspot.com]live chat[/url]
Good job.....thanks.....Must be a reason to find friends in your area! Try my page....
Try to find

Anonymous said...

[url=http://megador.110mb.com/eyeglasses-coupon.html]eyeglasses coupon[/url] : [url=http://megador.110mb.com/index1.html]cheap eyeglasses online[/url]
http://megador.110mb.com/prada-eyeglasses.html

Anonymous said...

Hello


G'night

Anonymous said...

[url=http://dimedrol.110mb.com/index23.html]absolutely free pcs ringtones sprint[/url] - [url=http://dimedrol.110mb.com/index5.html]free us cel
lular ringtones lg[/url]
[url=http://dimedrol.110mb.com/index2.html]mosquito ringtones[/url]