Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Letter to the Mid-day editor

This is the letter I shot off to the editor of the mid-day newspaper after seeing a pic of a dead foetus on their homepage online.

TO WHOMSOEVER IT MAY CONCERN:

This is to inform you that I find it extremely extremely offensive that a reputed print-media organization like Mid-day had the blatant audacity to print the picture of a dead foetus found on the roadside on their homepage on the web edition of your newspaper.

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUSLY UNACCEPTABLE.

The freedom of press and how it is being 'used' in India is very well noticed by the common man. But what this incident goes to show is how callous the attitude has become when it comes to any sort of censorship towards what is shown to the public at large. If in case you do not know, let me reiterate that the reader demographic of your 'newspaper' includes young children. And be it whatever age, seeing something like this without a disclaimer notice is simply not done.

As a common man reading your articles, and one voice in a billion, I may not even create a blip on your radar, but as a citizen, and a concerned one at that, I demand a full apology from your publishers for this insensitive piece of photo-journalism.

Shame on you Mid-day!!

- Karthik Neelakantan, an Indian.


I would be surprised to get any response.. but this was the only way for me to vent my true feelings...

3 comments:

Siddarth said...

Good to see some action here :)

Siddarth said...

Oh by the way, Mid-Day is a joke really. Even back in the day, it was more about ads and sleaze and sleazy ads!!

Anonymous said...

Amiable dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.